ProjectsBack to Projects
The Playground at Coolbellup
Client: LandCorp and LendLease
Location: Coolbellup, WA
Dates: 2010 – ongoing
The Coolbellup School Sites are residential infill opportunities on the sites of three former schools in the southern Perth suburb of Coolbellup. UDLA continue to be engaged by the LandCorp/Lend Lease team to design and administer the public realm areas of these sites.
The Playground at Coolbellup is the major public open space for the housing development on the former North Lake Primary School site, a 4.2ha infill site with 1ha public open space, 54 residential lots and 4 group housing sites.
This public open space project includes innovative community consultation, urban design, landscape theming, tree retention and practical public art centred on fitness, play and imagination. The amenity and infrastructure aims to create an urban sanctuary discovered amongst a natural setting, trails and retained trees.
- Future implementation of public amenity to a previous school site;
- Recognition of site history and context, with poetic and respectful design response to a change of site use;
- A variety of park types within the surrounding suburb; and
- Integrated drainage, recreation and art functions.
- 2016 Urban Development Institute of Australia WA (UDIA WA) Awards for Excellence – Urban Renewal