ProjectsBack to Projects
The Primary at Coolbellup
Client: LandCorp and LendLease
Location: Coolbellup, WA
Dates: 2008 – 2015
The Coolbellup School Sites are residential infill opportunities on the sites of three former schools in the southern Perth suburb of Coolbellup. UDLA were engaged by the LandCorp/Lend Lease team to design and administer the public realm areas of these sites.
The Primary at Coolbellup, a 4.6ha site with 1ha public open space, 58 residential lots and two group housing sites. The project included innovative community consultation, urban design, landscape theming, tree retention and transplants and a poetic public art program centred on the memory of the former school.
This public open space playfully builds upon the existing ‘sense of place’ of the former school site through creative art elements and specifically the site of the old school canteen whilst encouraging connectivity to the surrounding existing suburbs, parks and Town Centre.
- Successful implementation of public amenity to a previous school site;
- Collaborative, front end design apporach to achieve retentiuon of significant Jarrah and Tuart trees;
- A poetic and respectful response to a change of site use though recognition of site history and context; and
- A variety of spaces within the development, including a skateable urban centre, nature play, rest areas and bush walking tracks around the site perimeter in the retained native vegetation.
- 2015 Urban Development Institute of Australia WA (UDIA WA) Awards for Excellence – Residential Development Under 250 Lots